Fall is officially here! It’s time to slow down and enjoy the crisp weather and beautiful colors while we can, because winter is just around the corner. Before you know it, falling leaves will turn into snowflakes and menus everywhere will replace pumpkin spice with peppermint.
The arrival of fall also means it’s time to start planning your holiday shopping list! It’s safe to say that this holiday season is going to look a little different than years past, especially without the usual hustle-bustle of Christmas shopping in busy malls and department stores. This year, you can skip the lines and still cover everyone on your shopping list with a thoughtful do it yourself Christmas gift. The best thing about giving DIY gifts for Christmas is that whether you’re a crafting expert or you’ve never held a glue gun in your life, you can easily make cheap DIY Christmas gifts that look priceless.
The Best Budget-Friendly DIY Christmas Gift Ideas
We’ve taken the guesswork out of finding the perfect presents for your family and friends and compiled 16 cheap homemade gifts to fit any budget. These DIY Christmas gifts don’t require a lot of time (or skills!), and you can maximize your savings by shopping for supplies using the Piggy Coupon extension.
So, turn up the Christmas tunes, grab a paintbrush, and check out these 16 DIY Christmas gift ideas for everyone on your holiday shopping list!
For the Foodie
1. Infused Olive Oil – Custom oil blends are easy to pull off, and with just a few ingredients, you can create endless flavor combinations, like garlic rosemary, sweet chili, or lemon thyme. To keep this DIY Christmas gift within your budget, check out Costco or Sam’s Club for the best prices on large containers of olive oil.
2. Recipe Box – For a Christmas DIY idea that is both practical and sentimental, write down family recipes and traditional holiday dishes on index cards and place them in a small box or tin. Don’t forget to add some blank cards too, so the recipe collection can continue to grow.
For the Bookworm
3. Bookmarks – When it comes to Christmas DIY ideas, the possibilities with this one are endless! You can easily make a one-of-a-kind bookmark using anything from construction paper to paper clips to popsicle sticks. Plus, you probably already have the supplies ready to go at home.
4. Personalized Mug – For anyone who loves to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea, this DIY Christmas gift is the way to go. Simply use an oil-based paint marker from Hobby Lobby to transform a plain ole mug into something special by adding a monogram, a book quote, or a fun drawing.
For the Self-Care Guru
5. Microwavable Heat Packs – This cheap homemade gift is perfect for cold nights and only requires a few squares of fabric from Joann’s and an inexpensive bag of rice. Add a few drops of essential oils for some relaxing aromatherapy action. If you’d rather skip the sewing, you can also use a knee-sock and baker’s twine!
6. Bath Salts – If you’re looking for DIY Christmas present ideas that you can make in bulk, bath salts are a great choice! All you need are Epsom salts or pink Himalayan salt, coconut oil, and a few drops of essential oils. You can also find tons of cute and affordable jars at The Container Store.
For the Kids
7. Homemade Playdough – DIY Christmas gifts that include an activity are always a hit with kids. You can make fun, colorful playdough using common ingredients from your kitchen, like flour, salt, cream of tartar, vegetable oil, water, and food coloring.
8. Hot Cocoa on a Stick – There’s nothing quite like a hot cup of cocoa on a cold winter night. To put a fun twist on this kid-friendly classic, pour melted chocolate into an ice cube tray and add popsicle sticks. Once the chocolate is set, stir the sticks into a cup of warm milk, and your little ones will be amazed at the transformation!
For the Gardener
9. Plant Markers – Anyone with a green thumb will love a custom set of plant markers for their herb, veggie, or flower garden. This cheap homemade gift is useful for keeping track of plants before they sprout and are easy to make using anything from stones and a sharpie to bakeable clay and letter stamps.
10. Macrame Plant Holder – If you can tie a knot, you can pull off this do it yourself Christmas gift. All you need is a few yards of rope cord from Michaels and a binge worthy Netflix show.
For the Fashionista
11. Decorative Full-Length Mirror – For a cheap DIY Christmas gift with a chic twist, pick up an inexpensive mirror from Dollar General, and spruce it up using anything from acrylic paint to faux flowers to gems and hot glue.
12. Jewelry Holder – Create a gorgeous piece of wall art that doubles as a jewelry holder using a small branch from your yard. Talk about budget-friendly! Just add some gold paint embellishments and several small hooks from Home Depot, and you’re all set!
For the World Traveler
13. Bulletin Board Map – This unique DIY Christmas idea serves as a gorgeous statement piece and a travel-memory board in one. All you’ll need is a world map, a bulletin board, and a few push pins, which you can easily find for next to nothing at Walmart!
14. Photo Calendar – What better way to remember once-in-a-lifetime adventures than with a personalized photo calendar? Use Vistaprint or Shutterfly to upload travel photos and create a unique layout for each month of the year!
For the one who “Doesn’t need anything”
15. Gift Baskets – If you’re racking your brain to find the perfect gift for someone who seems impossible to shop for, we’ve got you covered! A personalized gift basket is one of the best cheap homemade gift ideas because you can completely customize the items to fit anyone! Just make a quick Target or Walmart run and collect inexpensive items, like snacks, candles, coffee, self-care items, gift cards, and more.
16. Framed Photo – Photos always make simple but thoughtful DIY gifts for Christmas. Target Photo and CVS Photo offer affordable printing options and you can even add a special (and budget-friendly) touch by making a frame or giving an old frame new life with a fresh coat of paint.
Bonus Tip: Free Gift Wrap!
Create unique gift wrap by repurposing items around your house, like scrap fabric, newspapers, and magazines. Fashion bows out of twine or ribbon, and make cardboard gift tags using an empty cereal box. This is also another way to cut down on your holiday shopping budget.
For other affordable Christmas gift ideas, check out Piggy’s guide on How to Shop Smart for Christmas on a budget!