We all have that friend who is obsessed with wine. The one who can actually taste notes of blackberry and oak, while we’re proud of ourselves for recognizing that it’s a Cabernet. Well, it turns out your wine snob friend may be onto something. Wine has long been thought to be beneficial for our health, so long as it’s consumed in moderation. usually red wine gets all the attention, but studies have also shown that white wine may have the same health benefits. Of course it’s not all sunshine and grapes. Here’s what you need to know about how that daily glass of vino is impacting your body.
- Lifespan Boost. Enjoying a nightly glass of wine may lead to longer life. Research shows that regular wine drinkers have a 34% lower rate of mortality than their beer or liquor-drinking buds. And if you’re living longer, you may as well look younger while you’re at it, right? You can thank the researchers at Harvard Medical School for this one. The compound resveratrol, which is found in red wine, has been linked to having anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Sunburn stopper. Another way your glass of wine can make you look younger is that it protects your skin from the sun. A Spanish study in The Journal of Agricultural Food and Chemistry found that the antioxidants in wine can help prevent the chemical reaction UV ray exposure causes to the human body. Flavonoids, the antioxidants found in grapes, can stop the chemical process that kills skin cells and leads to sunburn. So the next time you and your friends are enjoying margaritas on the beach, reach for a nice red wine instead.
- Heart healthy. Red wine has long been thought to protect our hearts because it contains tannins, which protect against heart disease. Tannins are the compounds in wine that are responsible for that dry taste. If you have high blood pressure, a nightly glass of wine may be just what the doctor ordered.
- Sugar solution. If you’ve been having trouble managing your diabetes, relaxing with a glass of wine could actually help. However, less is more when it comes to wine as medicine.
- Happy times. We all tend to feel a little chiller after a glass of wine. Personally, the stresses of my day melt away as I sit at dinner with my family, enjoying a good conversation and great wine. Turns out that those good feelings last way beyond dinner. According to a study in BMC Medicine, moderate wine drinkers may be protective against depression. Drinking two to seven glasses of wine per week is associated with lower rates of depression.
I’m sure after reading those, you are now craving for that glass of wine. If you are a newbie to the vino world then your question might be, “where and how should I start?” Let me introduce to you, Bright Cellars. I am a fan of this wine subscription company and let me tell you why. I get to try 4 glasses of wine every month from all over the world! You should check them out too. Create an account and take the quiz before purchasing to get you an idea of what wine they recommend for your taste buds. I can also get you a 50% off of your first subscription box by clicking here.
Now you can become the wine connoisseur among you and your girlfriends!